Sunday 20 August 2017

"Bother, I've left my heart in Narnia again"

So I recently finished "Prince Caspian" and have felt compelled to do another blurb, I thought about doing one for "The horse and his boy" but couldn't come up with anything I wanted or needed to say (even though it is my favorite Narnia book).

Image result for prince caspian book illustrations

So the Pevensie's are back. And Narnia has changed, (let me indulge you with a quote)

"And so they feel, or rose, or blundered or dropped right through, and found themselves in this world, in the Land of Telmar which was then unpeopled. But why it was unpeopled is a long story: I will not tell it now. And in Telmar their descendants lived and became a fierce and proud; and after many generations there was a famine in Telmar and they invaded Narnia, which was then in some disorder (but that also would be a long story), and conquered it and ruled it."

Ok can we all agree that we need a complete history book of Telmar and Narnia? Because I'm absolutely dying to know every detail of everything related to these kingdoms. But of course Aslan has a point to make so we do not get to hear the tale. 

And I avoid fanfiction myself because... not really sure, its just not the same, it often contradicts with the author, or is just too silly or stupid in my admittingly closed-minded opinion. But in this case I would relent, heck I'd write the stories myself.

Related image

Another comment I must make is how surprisingly long the Pevensie's journey to Aslan's How is. I only had about 2-3 chapters left by the time they actually met up with Caspian. But my complaint is not how overall long but short the book was, I need more! A longer battle! more later-on-Caspian-scenes! (two very detailed history of telmar and narnia books!...)

I mean of course it was a page turning, book hugging, five-star rating read, I'm just saying.

Image result for prince caspian movie

Okay, movie/book rant.

*takes deep breath*

"The movie was far more epic than the book"

*hides as bookish insults, various items and possibly a raw egg is thrown* 

All calmed down? No? Usually this would be my reaction to someone seemingly preferring the movie of a book over the book, but let me explain. As I said the book was mostly Caspian's back story and the Pevensie's journey to join him. The movie adds a far more exciting story-line that involves a raid on Miraz's castle, an undeniably EPIC battle (come on! they came out of the ground!) and Lucy going to find Aslan and waking the trees last minute. In the book the battle is over before it is even begun.

And of course I love the book, I love the details, Caspian's backstory, the dancing lawn banquet, the dancing and feast of the nymphs, wine god (and entourage) and the collecting of those who believe, to drop everything and follow Aslan, and of course the involvement of Doctor Cornelius and the reunion with the nurse. 

They are equally good.

Still, the movie has more epic plot points, a Caspian with an undeniably gorgeous accent (really ticked he lost it in The Dawn Treader) and more king-worthy Caspian moments. The fact that in the movie he had to spare his uncle's life twice is a really good way to showcase his character and strength. I also liked that his aunt was one of the first to go through the doorway back to our world. I do not really care for the romantic tension between Susan and Caspian, and the whole kiss thing. There's no realistic room for it in the story. 

And I'm not trying to convince you that the movie is better than the book, its not, its more epic is all I said (doesn't equal better). And I find that movies tend to develop their own story-line overall as a series progresses and should be taken with a grain of salt and a tablespoon of objectiveness. 

And when I acknowledge the fact that it's not the book as a movie, (it's just a movie based on the book) I can start to love both in their different ways. If I had to speak from a producers point of view I would probably say that the book line for line would not have made for the exciting cinematic experience audiences want, and I get that. I enjoy both the book and the movie for their differences not despite them.

Before I move on can I please shower you with pictures of a beautiful specimen?

Image result for prince caspian

Image result for prince caspian

Related image

Sorry Edmund...

Image result for narnia edmund

And finally, a character analysis (this is really an observation and thoughts on some of the characters). I won't do a top # list just because the book characters differ from the movie characters too much so I'd need separate lists. 

Related image
Caspian the tenth
Of course I have to start this list off with him. I just adore how interested in, and passionate he is about Narnia's true history (we have so much in common!:) And of course he's brave and humble and really cares for those he leads. (Did I mention his movie accent?) 

Image result for narnia susan

Susan Pevensie
I don't want to say she's my least favorite Pevensie sibling (sounds too harsh), but I would rank her last. Overall she patronizes Lucy a lot in this book, (also in the LWW) and you can see the direction she's going starting in this book. As you know, she stops believing entirely later on and chides her siblings for still remembering. So I find her to be the weakest sibling in that aspect. Another observation is that Susan is a lot more battle-ready in the movies, but in The horse and His Boy she was described as the kind of proper lady who didn't go to war,  and she isn't called Susan the Gentle for nothing. 

Caspian's Nurse
She's so underrated, she doesn't even have a name or a proper illustration. (But I managed to get an image of her portrayed in a play) She literally changed the course of History by being the first to introduce Caspian to the tales of the old Narnians and their ways, instilling in him a passion so strong it could not be doused by Miraz and led to Caspian becoming the rightful King of Narnia. (Because the King of the old Narnians is responsible for all the talking beasts and their well-being, as commanded by Aslan at the beginning of it all in The magician's nephew).

Related image
High King Peter
He's still awesomely and epically fighting for others. He doesn't think twice about dueling Miraz to buy their side more time while Aslan was at work, and he assures Caspian that he is fighting to put him on the throne, not to steal the spotlight.

Related image
Lucy
She's so strong, her faith, her spirit, her character. She's the first to see Aslan and has to convince the others, but is willing to go on without her siblings if they won't listen. I just love her.

Related image
Edmund
Always so proud of how far he came, and how much his character has grown. he's the only one who believes Lucy and helps to convince the others. And I just love the relationship between him and Lucy.

Image result for trumpkin
Trumpkin
Peter said it best, he's a brick. It might have taken him a bit to believe in the kings and queens of old, and even longer to believe in Aslan. But he's loyal, protective and a lot less surly than his movie counterpart (but not too cheerful, he is a dwarf after all). And the movie may have shown his duel with Edmund, but his shoot out with Susan was just as if not more epic. Here's my favorite quote to tie in with that,

"I think that apple hanging over the wall on the branch there would do,' said Susan. 'That'll do nicely, lass.' said Trumpkin. 'You mean the yellow one near the arch?' 'No not that,' said Susan. 'The red one up above-over the battlement.'The Dwarf's face fell Looks more like a cherry than an apple he muttered, but he said nothing out laud."

*foot note can I just say how hard it was to find an image of the dwarf Trumpkin? I was absolutely pummeled by images of Donald Trump's face merged with pumpkins (JUST WHY???!!!?!!!)*

Image result for prince caspian illustrations

So that's my little rant on this book. (A little long I acknowledge). Probably be back soon with another Narnia related post soon, as I continue with this read-along.

Till then, farewell my lovelies!




No comments:

Post a Comment